As a kid, I was always interested in the wonders of the world, universe and some places on earth that are very popular. Science and Geography were two interesting and exciting subjects. I was told about Amazon Rainforest, some simple facts which I need to know as a kid. But, I wanted to know something more regarding that. We can’t really help our excitement regarding some topics, can we? Bermuda Triangle has been the most scary and interesting story we ever heard in our childhood and the myth still persists. In this article, I wanted to give you some facts on the Amazon Rainforest which you should probably know.
FACTS ABOUT AMAZON RAINFOREST
There are wide range of facts that you probably are not aware of about the Amazon Rainforest. Here are the simple, classified and most interesting facts that you should know about.
- Amazon Rainforest covers almost 2.1 million sq.miles of land and is located in South America.
- Amazon rainforest has existed for at least 55 million years.
- It covers around nine nations surrounded to its border.
- When all the rainforest’s in the world are considered, Amazon rainforest accounts for the half of the land mass among them.
- If the Amazon rainforest was a country, it would be the 9th position in size.
DIVERSITY OF SPECIES AND ITS SERVICE
- It is the home to many species, around 10% of the world’s known species are originated in the Amazon rainforest.
- Amazon rainforest produces 20% of the world’s total oxygen. If the Amazon rainforest is destroyed by 75%, 3 degrees celsius raise in temperature is expected every year.
- Around 205 species of birds, 40,000 species of plants and 2.5 million species of insects can be seen in Amazon rainforest.
- There were around 6-9 million Amazon natives. But as for now, there are around 2,50,000 natives. It is believed that there are around 170 different languages spoken by the Amazon natives.
- It is also the home for the great ANACONDA.
- The trees in the Amazon rainforest are so thick that if you can feel rain droplets touching your skin when you are in the rainforest, that is only after 10 minutes from the begin of rainfall. It takes nearly 10 minutes for the rain to touch the land through the trees in the Amazon rainforest.
These are the basic interesting facts you should know about the Amazon Rainforest. Hope you have liked it. Thank you.